PIAA District 10 Baseball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PIAA District 10 Baseball Forum

A Forum to talk about D10 Baseball

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do What You Want...................

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SVCOACH28

Do What You Want................... Empty
PostSubject: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm 50, worked pretty well for me in the Glenwood League and your comments are what the majority of players think and its quite inefficient. I know, I taught the same way for years. He's a former 1st round pick of the Astros, age 52, and works with major leaguers, minor leaguers, softball players etc........I traveled 8 hours to work with him.
That put it all together. I'm confident my guys will get it. A major Leaguer could not hit a 95 mile fastball with an inefficient swing. Why not learn what a pro does. Your not in my league so if you want a free lesson then let me know. I'm glad to pass the word and help anyone in our area become better. I've worked with Prep, McDowell, Seneca, St. Bona and Gannon players...to name a few......I've seen big improvements with some minor changes. Most won't take the time to learn it , I did and continue to. Good Luck either way.
Back to top Go down
VillaGorilla1

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 10:23 am

I'm not going to argue the obvious I'll see how your team hits, two things bother me though 1) if the glenwood team you were with could hit they would have won the championship I saw first hand and I checked the records they lost 2 playoff games 2-1 and 1-0 so is that what you meant when you refered to the glenwood league and 2) what do you mean I'm not in your league.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm a coach in AAA. If your playing for Villa your in A. No disrespect intended. I'm working to improve my team at this time of year and the comment was I'm not going to try to improve other AAA players that I'll face but since we don't play and you want me to see your swing I would. You do what you want. I know I'm on the correct path with my team and my philosophy and its taken years to finally find what I feel is the way a major leaguer hits.

Regarding Glenwood, we faced Brian Hardner and Greg Radwan, BOTH throw upper 80's, one is at Bonnies the other at Gannon. The team I assist with , Nagys Bulls, does not have a lot of players who follow my teachings because they don't want to change. I work with only a handful of players above the High School Level, but at clinics work with quite a few 7th thru 10th graders who are starting to get it....but, they go to another coach who doesn't and thus there inefficient again.

Regarding Glenwood, when I did get at bats I was pretty efficient for a guy at 50. If only they would listen........................

Good Luck my Friend !!
Back to top Go down
VillaGorilla1

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:43 pm

I just checked out the Harper video, fine looking athlete. I noticed he flexes his front leg in the ground, squishes the bug, head on the ball, generates great bat speed, nice extension, produces good leg power. On the other hand he definately has got an upswing probably because he is in a home run derby, aluminum bat probably a minus 12, juiced balls, and his roommate or dad is pitching him watermelons if dad took about 8 mph off a pitch his bat would be laying down the left field line. HS kids need to be taught pitch recognization and bat speed with that they can clobber the fastball, go after the braking pitch and take it the other way, and hold up on the off speed and still have the bat speed for a solid hit, put the ball in play instead of a K, a foul out or the ocassional homer. I watched to many kids miss what they thought was a fastball only to have a breaking pitch fall in the dirt they have no clue what's coming. I guess the days off hitting the other way, moving runners, keeping the ball on the ground, getting ahead in the count so you can tee off a heater are over. High level college players are good role models their is only a handful of pros todays youth should look up to and none are mentioned in this forum. Be very leary of the softball swing it will shorten your hardball career.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm

You were looking at a HS junior who is probally one of the best baseball players in the country. He'd be a sure 1st round pick in the draft if he was allowed. I don't need to comment further. He was hitting at an upper level elite showcase, not a Brabender Field.
Thats not squishing the bug and his opposite field HR went about 380. Stick to your way and I'll be teaching mine. Good Luck this Season.
Back to top Go down
VillaGorilla1

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 am

Please don't question my knowledge I wouldn't yours, I have to ask though how long have you been a head coach and your record, you see you come off a little strong and I'm just trying to understand what it's based on.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 11:08 am

I'm not one to question but I am one that helps. I just took over SV last year and as I always have I'm putting together a diciplined baseball program. Last year was my first year and we only won one game but we did compete and improved and thats all I asked. This year I hope to compete right away because thats my style. I'm not in it to just say I'm a head coach. I'm in it to put a quality product on the field similar to what Coach Cacchione and Coach Pullium have done. I've been around baseball all my life and have learned from some good people and I feel I'm respected in the baseball community. My goal is to build a program at Strong Vincent and its a challenge I've accepted. Both my sons played at Prep and my oldest is in his senior year at Gannon.
I've been involved with T-Ball, B-Ball, 1B, 2B, 3B, junior Legion, Prep's summer program, Prep's freshman coach, Glenwood League, Next Level Baseball Clinics with Jim Smith, Plyometric Training with my Next Level Training and have trained teams from Villa, Mercyhurst Prep, Gannon University, Prep Football, Prep baseball, Northwestern, as well as working the past 5 years doing plyo clinics for 10 thru adult athletes. My teams train hard as well as practice hard and were developing some good athletes. Most Important, I'm enjoying coaching again and hopefully directing my players about life and the goal of playing some college baseball. Thats pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
VillaGorilla1

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Cyber coach I added this site to my favorites and will keep dibs, i'm not sure who you thought I was but I'm not, I was in town for a week visiting my brother it was my nephew who plays in the city told me about the Englishbay approach to hitting and needless to say I was floored, I'm leaving Erie today our team starts a 3 game series with Louisiana St. the 20th. Best of luck, I'll check back.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm

Oh, OK...........lol!! Best of luck...........Cyber Coach.....I like that. I'll stick with Coach T.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't know ANYONE teaching this approach around here other than me but I hope more would. If your with Villanova then best of luck with LSU. I've been in clinics with the former LSU head coach, I'm not sure if he retired or was fired. He's a great motivator. What you or your nephew might not understand is we teach it from the stride foot on toe touch, its backward chaining. What you do prior is your call but you need to find a way to stay connected. At my HS level I have to teach starting with posture and how to rotate while staying connected. Its not easy but some are getting it. You can PM me anytime if you want me to email you some info from the site that might help you. If your doing fine already then stick with it. If your hitting like Ryan Howard, Hamilton, Puljos etc then you certainly don't need this guy around. Cyber!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do What You Want...................   Do What You Want................... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do What You Want...................
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PIAA District 10 Baseball Forum :: Baseball Fundamentals-
Jump to: