A Forum to talk about D10 Baseball

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My Opinion..........

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: My Opinion..........   Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 am

In baseball, due to budget constraints, many assistants are former players, grad assistants or friends of the head coach who fill a specific role as an assistant coach but how many have specific knowledge in helping an athlete when they need it. I'm sure in some schools there lucky to have that but for many its just not there. Our sport is tough because you can go to 5 different coaches and learn 5 different things, thus, the player is lost. Use of video is key, especially slo-motion, but, you need to know what your looking for. I'd say many players come home searching for help from former coaches or maybe some minor leaguers who are working with players, many are pitchers. These players are searching for answers there not getting in college and I think when they go from HS to college there expecting much more. Some schools have it and some don't. I think around here we have coaches who are keeping up with the game and I hope that continues.

Regarding College Athletics I think it would be beneficial for our local coaches to have a FREE seminar for any college bound athlete to explain what they need to do to become a college athlete. I think many feel its the same ole same like high school but its quite demanding and I don't think our athletes are understanding of that and thus don't last or fade away because there playing for love of the game but when they weigh the academics over athletic committment (and no scholarship money or limited) they eventually walk away to pursue there carreer goals.

As a Dad of a college athlete, now a senior, I'm proud of my son for going thru that grind and I feel the dicipline he's received will only help him in the real world out there.
College Athletes need to make the right choices or they'll never survive.

We as coaches need to get that message out to our players as well. High School Athletes making the right choices is where it starts.
Back to top Go down
rockbase

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I think you points are very well stated. I think that would be a great idea to have a seminar to learn what it might take to get play collegiate baseball. I think you would need coaches from different levels also. It might be more beneficiary for the workshop to be for high school coaches because anymore if a player is collegiate material it is known by 10th grade and that player is on someones watch list. Parents should be included because the one single thing that a lot of athletes tend to forget in the process is the academic side of the equation.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:58 pm

rockbase wrote:
I think you points are very well stated. I think that would be a great idea to have a seminar to learn what it might take to get play collegiate baseball. I think you would need coaches from different levels also. It might be more beneficiary for the workshop to be for high school coaches because anymore if a player is collegiate material it is known by 10th grade and that player is on someones watch list. Parents should be included because the one single thing that a lot of athletes tend to forget in the process is the academic side of the equation.

I would have to say I disagree 100% with this statement. There are so many variables that may play into this. A player could stop growing at 16 years old, when many thought he would fill out and become the stud. They could decided not to put in the work. Or it could go the other way. A kid could grow 7-8 inches between their sophomore and senior year, or put on 20 pounds of muscle. I think in general that it's true, but there's so many other things that could go into it.
Back to top Go down
http://d10baseball.forumotion.com
williams

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:02 pm

SVCOACH28 said,

Quote :
Regarding College Athletics I think it would be beneficial for our local coaches to have a FREE seminar for any college bound athlete to explain what they need to do to become a college athlete. I think many feel its the same ole same like high school but its quite demanding and I don't think our athletes are understanding of that and thus don't last or fade away because there playing for love of the game but when they weigh the academics over athletic committment (and no scholarship money or limited) they eventually walk away to pursue there carreer goals.

I have to agree, I have seen several really talented players go off to college only to see them come back without having much success. Anything to prepare them for the experience would be a bonus.
Back to top Go down
ninja411

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:53 am

I think a lot of players in this area that have a lot of sucess in highschool become complacent and thats because they are a good around here. MOst don't put in the work needed to suceed. And why should they when they dominate around these parts. Then they go to college and see the reality of a lot of players that have the same skills as they do or better.
They come back home with their tail between their legs and full of excuses.
Back to top Go down
Williamsmith

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:44 am

Alot of high school athletes in the area can be successful without alot of hard work. If you're in an area full of prospects you have to work extremely hard to stand out. That work ethic is going to follow you to college and then if it is lacking it will not serve you well especially when combined with the academic workload. This is where some of our local athletes would be better served to attend a school that assists their players academically and has smaller classes AND NOT A MAJOR OR EVEN MID MAJOR PROGRAM. Many kids that go DI should have seriously considered DII, DIII, NAIA or JUCO to get their feet under them. That first year is critical. Red shirting and sitting the bench or being injured trying to compete for a backup spot will take it out of you.

Its a crapshoot and there is a great variation in the quality of assistance that is given in the form of advice coming from the high school programs. Sure as I high school coach, you want to say you had a kid go DI but how many of our D10 guys have made the transition and stuck it out four years? Precious few.
Back to top Go down
rockbase

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:18 pm

You are right about the image of going to a D-I program. I don't understand why a player would want to choose a program where they are going to lose a majority of their games just because they will travel to Miami in the early spring to get their butts handed to them. If a high school coach cares about their players going to a D-I program so they can tell their buddies about it then they are in the wrong profession. It should not be about the coach at all.
Transferring is such a pain now between programs so it is even more neccessary to find the right fit for the player the first time. There are a ton of new rules with the D-1 setting that is hurting programs when they used to bring in 50 kids to fill their 30 man roster now they can't do that. Programs are looking more for the finished product rather than the project because they can't waste the roster spot or the scholarship money.
The fact that a player goes to a D-1 mean that he probably has the talent but what they don't realize is so does the next years class coming in.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: IF YOUR GOOD ENOUGH, THEY'LL FIND YOU!!   Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Baseball is very different than Basketball and Baseball in my opinion concerning which college level you attend. The D-1 offer certainly is a draw and an ego booster but it might be a big mistake as well. When your being recruited there usually kissing your ass and the offer of a scholarship may be a dream come true for a ballplayer. I've been thru that with my oldest son and he did make a move to a D-2 after a year and a half. He loved the school but had to do what he thought was best and moved on. Its tough. You feel used and the program he went to had 7-9 players leaving each year the 2 years he was there. I lost a lot of respect for the coach but it really woke me up to the process and I'm passing our experience along to many kids from several schools I've talked to and tried to help. We mad a bad situation into a good thing.

Rockbase is correct in stating coaches are always trying to get better players in. Don't sit back because someone will be on your ass real quick. I've seen high school players who thought they were a lock only to see someone take there place. I can tell you at my school that could very well happen to a few players.

Baseball provided my son with a good education and made it affordable. I hope kids understand that playing a sport can help a family out financially and most likely open up a lot of doors after school. Athletics also keep you more focused and time management is key which in turn can help you in the real world.

If your good enough in baseball and progress you still have a shot in pro ball if you have the tools. The professional ranks are filled with players from all college levels. The best thing now is to find a school with a good fit and if you get an official visit talk with as many players as possible to see what its really like to play under that coach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion..........   

Back to top Go down

My Opinion..........
Page 1 of 1