A Forum to talk about D10 Baseball

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rockbase

PostSubject: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:41 pm

What does everyone think about Mercyhurst and Gannon moving to the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) and leaving the GLIAC?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:36 pm

I really don't know much about college baseball. I did a little bit of research, but I'd take this with a grain of salt.

Mercyhurst looks like they played 2 games last year against teams from the PSAC, both against Clarion. They went 2-0 against them, but Clarion was 4-16 in conference, so scratch .

Gannon lost both ends of a double header to Clarion early in the season.

What this means to the PSAC, Gannon, and, and Mercyhurst: I really have no clue.
Back to top Go down
http://d10baseball.forumotion.com
rockbase

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 am

I guess my first instinct was that both are Erie schools and this site seems Erie based. The new coach for Gannon played at McDowell about a decade ago. I would imagine that he would try to begin his recruiting around home first. This should peek hs coach's interests.
Mercyhurst is a very good program with tons of money in scholarships. They are going to get the best players that they can. The Cressley kid (Corry) plays there now. I just thought hs coaches and players should know about the college programs in their area.
Back to top Go down
ninja411

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:09 pm

I think every highschool coach and baseball player in the area knows about Gannon and Mercyhurst.
Back to top Go down
SVCOACH28

PostSubject: LOCAL SCHOOLS.............   Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:18 pm

I believe there is some good local talent around here but I can't say they are looking local to play ball nor are the local schools looking at Erie players as a first option. I'm only in my second year of coaching at SV but I have sent emails to coaches about players prior to becoming Head Coach at SV. One of my players has interest in going South at the D-2 level in North Carolina and I contacted 8 schools last week with one return response. I'm hoping more take some interest. Football and Baseball could be a possibility if a school or coaches would accept it.

We have to realize that many players in HS may have the talent to go further but most choose to become students instead because a college athlete must understand its a pretty demanding schedule. Love of the game is key especially at the D-2 and D-3 level. You have your athletes who choose a Junior college hoping to go to the next level quicker or have to because of grade situations. The D-1 athlete is rare but we have been blessed with a few good ones. Training is such a vital part of college athletics and many of us HS coaches are adapting that system in our programs. Don't expect that a D-1 program has better coaching or speciality coaching because many really don't. A lot of assistants are former players and all of a sudden there a speciality coach. You may not get the teachings your expecting. I'm working now with a D-1 player whose school has no pitching or hitting coaches so he comes here and finds it.

We have some good guys around here in Benim, Cocolin, and Spano. As a HS coach I'll relay some players I feel have college potential but its there job to respond back to me or I'll just assume they have no interest. I'm not just talking my kids but players I'm facing as well. Some kids who go forward are usually the players overlooked by many schools. I'm also a realist because I'm not going to recommend a player who might not be working hard for me and feel he'll work harder at a higher level because REALITY will hit on day one. I do hope that coaches at a higher level respect some of us around here because the coaching isn't too bad. We have some good dedicated guys.
Back to top Go down
rockbase

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:53 am

What D-1 program doesn't have a pitching or hitting assistant coach? I find that really hard to believe. I do believe that college coaches in general have respect for high school coaches and the time they put in. Most players wouldn't advance without the help of their respective high school coaching staff.
Being a former D-10 player and coach I understand the lure of playing in a warmer climate. The player must weigh a ton of things before making hopefully the right decision for his collegiate choice.
I also would imagine that most baseball players if given the opportunity to continue their sport collegiately or not would choose to do so even if the sport takes up more of their time. Regardless of the division I,II, III. The idea of the "ones that go on are the ones most overlooked" intrigues me with the computer age and everyone and their brother having some sort of baseball academy or webpage that anyone could be overlooked if they didn't want to be.
Back to top Go down
Williamsmith

PostSubject: PSAC additions   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:32 pm

I like the addition of Mercyhurst and Gannon to the PSAC West Division. The PSAC is a competitive conference and I think represents itself extremely well every year in the NCAA tournament. DII baseball is IMO really strong in PA and especially I think the pitching is top notch. The only downside is the weather.

My son seriously considered one of the PSAC schools. He opted for the warm weather.....who knows he might end up back in here and I would be proud to have him play in the PSAC. At least I could watch him play.

Last edited by Williamsmith on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:43 am

Just wondering, but what school in Conference Carolinas did he go to?
Back to top Go down
http://d10baseball.forumotion.com
Williamsmith

PostSubject: Admin   Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Check your pm I left you a message.
Back to top Go down
IHScoach19

PostSubject: GU/Mercyhurst   Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Being a former assistant at GU, I can honestly say that the hiring of Coach Concolin was a tremendous job by then-AD Bill Elias. Nate has brought in some talent that was lacking in key positions in the recent past with their minimal scholarships. I believe when i was there we had about 2.5. Prior to Nate, GU hardly competed and it seemed to me that some of the kids didn't even want to show up or showed up knowing the outcome of the games. I would look for GU to compete this year, not know much else of PSAC schools. GU will be solid behind the plate (Travers) and especially in the OF (Harpster-CF, Eisenmen-LF) Radwan at 3B when he's not pitching will be solid as well. They did lose some when Chris Miller (1B) from Franklin graduated last year but I'm sure there will be someone to step up. That Hoffman kid is pretty good from Middlsex (I believe). As for the rest, I don't know much about.

Mercyhurst will always field a good team. Spano is a great guy and coach who knows the game and how to impliment the talent he has to better his team. Plus, the full amount of scholarships doesn't hurt much either.

Either way, there is a core of players that still play for GU from when I was there. It will be great to get down there to see some of them play and see how they have tuned up their skills.

Best of luck Coach Concolin and Coach Spano.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference   

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference
Page 1 of 1